Why Are We Talking About Purpose?
Temkin Group has labeled 2017 “The Year of Purpose.” We hope that when companies examine their leaders, employees, and customers, they begin to see actual people behind these labels, individuals who are driven to find purpose and meaning in their jobs and in their lives.
Purpose is powerful. It provides a context around all that we do, which alters our feelings, beliefs, and actions. A strong sense of purpose can:
- Inspire us to find joy in our lives
- Energize us with a sense of hope
- Propel us to overcome obstacles
- Uplift us to feel good about ourselves
- Connect us with others around a shared goal
Much of our research focuses on helping organizations master four CX core competencies. As you can see in the figure below, purpose is an important component across all four elements: Purposeful Leadership, Compelling Brand Values, Employee Engagement, and Customer Connectedness.
What is Elevate Purpose?
Temkin Group started the “Elevate Purpose” effort in order to help individuals expand both their understanding of and their focus on purpose. To this end, we will be researching, publishing, and speaking on the topic throughout this year. Check out our existing content on purpose. Here are some of our recent content:
- CX Competency: Purposeful Leadership (Video) May 2017
- An Inspiring Mission Is An Employee Magnet March 2017
- Podcast: Purposeful Leadership With Tom Feeney, Safelite CEO February 2017
- Free Customer Experience Training For Non-Profit Organizations January 2017
- 2017 Customer Experience Trends (Video and Infographic) January 2017
- The Power of Purpose (Temkin Group Video) January 2017
- Celebrating MLK Day in the Year of Purpose January 2017
- 2017 Customer Experience Trends, “The Year of Purpose” January 2017
- Welcome to 2017, The Year of Purpose January 2017
- Infusing Humanity Into CX, Discussion With Barry Schwartz October 2016
We also want you (the readers of this blog) to participate in making 2017 a breakthrough year for elevating purpose.
We hope that individuals will pledge to Elevate Purpose within their organizations and within their lives. To take the pledge, simply write, “I pledge to Elevate Purpose,” in the comment box below and proudly display this badge wherever you like.
We hope that you will also use the comment box below to share how you’ve been able to elevate purpose in your personal and/or professional life.
Also, get the word out on twitter with the hashtag #ElevatePurpose