Learn About The Four CX Core Competencies
The customer experience an organization delivers is a reflection of its culture and operating processes. So while any company can improve portions of its experience, to deliver and sustain great CX, an organization must commit to deep institutional changes. Temkin Group has studied hundreds of companies to uncover the difference between the operations of CX leaders and those of their less successful peers.
Through this research, we identified four competencies that companies must master to build and sustain CX differentiation: Purposeful Leadership, Compelling Brand Values, Employee Engagement, and Customer Connectedness.
Companies tend to make decisions based on many small, isolated factors – such as individuals’ objectives, department-specific metrics, and particular executives’ agendas – rather than on an overarching, cohesive vision of the organization. To keep the entire company moving in tandem, an organization must articulate and commit to a clear purpose – one that aligns all employees’ day-to-day decisions and is more compelling than simply increased profits.
|COMPELLING BRAND VALUES
Brands are more than just marketing campaigns. A successful brand emphasizes the mission of the company and aligns employees and customers around a common purpose. The brand is what employees and leaders truly believe their company stands for. A company creates compelling brand values by making, embracing, and keeping its customer promises.
Engaged employees are some of a company's most valuable assets as they trigger a "virtuous cycle," which drives good customer experience and superior business results. Our research shows that, compared to their disengaged peers, engaged employees try harder, are more likely to do something good for the company (even if it is not expected of them), and freely offer their services to help others.
Most companies make decisions with woefully little customer insight. Instead, people often rely on their "gut feelings" or outdated anecdotes about customer needs, desires, and feedback. But any meaningful improvements to customer experience require companies to embed deep customer insights into every aspect of their operations.
Evaluate Your CX Competencies
Want to understand how well your organization is performing across these four competencies? Complete Temkin Group’s 20-question CX Competency and Maturity Assessment.
Organizations don’t become customer-centric overnight. This assessment will also show where your organization is on a journey through the six stages of customer experience maturity: 1) Ignore, 2) Explore, 3) Mobilize, 4) Operationalize, 5) Align, and 6) Embed.
Four CX Competencies Content
In addition to our competency-specific content – which you can access by clicking on each competency above – here are some key reports that look across all Four CX Core Competencies:
- The Four Customer Experience Competencies: This FREE report is a must-read for anyone looking to improve their organization’s customer experience. If you’re looking for a place to learn – or just brush up on – the fundamentals of CX, we suggest starting here.
- State of CX Management, 2018. This report describes CX efforts within large companies. It also includes an assessment you can take along with benchmark data you can use to evaluate your results against.
- Lessons in CX Excellence, 2018. This report provides insights from the six winners of Temkin Group’s 2017 CX Excellence Awards and shares details about their efforts across the four competencies.
Here is some additional content about the competencies:
- Report: The Customer Journeys That Matter The Most June 2018
- Starbucks Training Should Focus on Broken Brand Promises June 2018
- Report: What Happens After a Good or Bad Experience, 2018 June 2018
- Mastering Customer Experience Metrics (Infographic) May 2018
- Making AI Customer-Centric May 2018
- The Future of VoC Actionable Insights: Assistance Engines May 2018
- Building A Strong Voice of The Customer Program (Infographic) May 2018
- Report: Propelling Experience Design Across An Organization April 2018
- Report: The State of CX Management, 2018 April 2018
- Report: 2018 Temkin Experience Ratings (U.S.) March 2018
- Customer Focus Boosts Employee & Business Performance March 2018
- Employee Engagement: A Goldmine of Untapped Value (Infographic) February 2018