Temkin Group has found that the only path to sustainable customer experience differentiation is to build a customer-centric culture. How? By mastering Four Customer Experience Core Competencies.
This page describes one of those competencies, Customer Connectedness. To master this competency, customer feedback and insights must be integrated throughout the organization.
Most companies make decisions with woefully little customer insight. Instead, people often rely on their “gut feelings” or outdated anecdotes about customer needs, desires, and feedback. But any meaningful improvements to customer experience require companies to embed deep customer insights into every aspect of their operations.
Companies looking to master this competency should focus on these four strategies:
- Continuously listen and act. Many organizations recognize that gathering insights about customers is an important component of CX, which is why they create voice of the customer (VoC) programs. Good VoC programs must generate insights that drive actions across the organization..
- Target specific customer segments. There’s a saying in user experience that goes, “Any experience that’s built to meet everyone’s needs won’t meet anyone’s needs.” It’s true – different customer segments can react quite differently to the exact same treatment. One tool companies can use to ensure that all employees view customer segments in exactly the same way is design personas, which are vivid descriptions of prototypical customers within a segment.
- Focus on customer journeys. Every interaction a customer has with a company is just one small step in his or her much larger journey, yet companies tend to focus on only a single interaction at a time. To overcome their internal point of view, an organization must focus on helping its customers achieve their goals, not its own corporate goals.
- Design for real people. To lighten our cognitive burden, people make most decisions using intuitive thinking – which is fast, automatic, and emotional – rather than rational thinking – which is slow, effortful, and logical. Because humans mostly use intuitive thinking to make decisions, companies should design experiences in ways that tap into people’s natural heuristics and biases.
Customer Connectedness Content
Here is some key content for this competency:
Customer Insights Information:
- Report: State of Voice of the Customer Programs, 2017. This report provides an overview of VoC programs at large companies and includes an assessment with benchmark data on VoC competency and maturity levels.
- Report: Renovating Your Voice of the Customer Program. This report describes how six customer insights trends will reshape VoC programs and shares innovative examples of best practices across the trends.
- Report: The Shift to Customer Journey Insights. This report advises companies on how to shift their insights efforts from concentrating narrowly on single transactions to focusing broadly on customers’ journeys
Experience Design Information:
- Infographic: The Power of Customer Journey Thinking: This infographic shows the five questions that employees across an organization should ask and answer to better focus on the needs of customers.
- Report: Propelling Experience Design Across An Organization. This report describes the elements of experience design and provides a framework for federating the skills, mindsets, and processes to all employees.
- Report: Behavioral Guide to Experience Design. This report explains how people actually make decisions (hint: it’s not always rational!) and offers advice on how to design interactions that appeal to customers’ intuitive thinking.
- Report: Humanizing Digital Interactions. This report introduces the Human Conversational Model, which decodes what makes for a successful person-to-person interaction, and suggests ways to apply those insights to digital interactions. Also, see the Human Conversational Model infographic.
Here is some additional content about Customer Connectedness:
- Report: Net Promoter Score Benchmark Study, 2018 October 2018
- Propelling Experience Design (Infographic) August 2018
- The Six Key Traits of Human Beings (Video) July 2018
- What is Net Promoter Score? (Video) July 2018
- Introducing The Temkin Customer Success Index June 2018
- Report: The Customer Journeys That Matter The Most June 2018
- Report: What Happens After a Good or Bad Experience, 2018 June 2018
- Mastering Customer Experience Metrics (Infographic) May 2018
- Making AI Customer-Centric May 2018
- The Future of VoC Actionable Insights: Assistance Engines May 2018
- Building A Strong Voice of The Customer Program (Infographic) May 2018
- Report: Propelling Experience Design Across An Organization April 2018
>>See all Customer Connectedness content