We just published Temkin Group’s annual Tech Vendor NPS & Loyalty Benchmark Study. Here’s the executive summary:
For the seventh year in a row, we have calculated the Net Promoter Score® (NPS®) of over 60 technology vendors and analyzed the correlation between NPS and four client loyalty behaviors – likelihood of repurchasing from that technology vendor, likelihood of trying new offerings, likelihood of forgiving the vendor if it makes a mistake, and willingness to act as a reference for the vendor. To gather this data, we surveyed 800 IT decision-makers from large North American firms about their relationships with their technology providers. Through this research, we found that:
- Across the 61 tech vendors we examined, NPS ranged from +51 to -22.
- VMware, IBM software products, DellEMC, and Microsoft server software earned the highest NPS, while Check Point, Splunk, and Alcatel-Lucent received the lowest.
- Overall, the average NPS for the tech vendor industry stayed steady from last year, declining only slightly from 21.4 in 2017 to 21.2 this year.
- Our analysis shows that NPS is strongly correlated to customers’ willingness to spend more with tech vendors, try their new products and services, forgive them after a bad experience, and act as a reference for them with prospective clients.
- In addition to examining NPS, the research also provides a benchmark of several areas of loyalty. IT decision-makers are most likely to purchase more from DellEMC and Microsoft server software, try new offerings from Oracle outsourcing and Dell outsourcing, forgive Oracle outsourcing and Micro Focus if they make a mistake, and act as a reference for AWS and IBM outsourcing.
This report includes a .pdf report and a spreadsheet with the company-level data. You can see a sample of the data spreadsheet (.xls).
Here are two of the 11 graphics in the report:
- Net Promoter Scores for 61 Tech Vendors
- VMware Earns Top Net Promoter Score
- Net Promoter Score Correlates to Multiple Aspects of Loyalty
Figures in the Report:
- Net Promoter Score (NPS) of 61 Tech Vendors
- Average NPS for Tech Vendors, 2012 to 2018
- Likelihood of Repurchasing from Tech Vendors
- NPS Versus Likely to Repurchase
- NPS Responses Versus Likely to Repurchase
- Temkin Innovation Equity Quotient(TIEQ) of Tech Vendors
- NPS Versus Temkin Innovation Equity Quotient
- Temkin Forgiveness Ratings (TFR) of Tech Vendors
- NPS Versus Temkin Forgiveness Ratings
- Willingness to Act As A Reference For Tech Vendors
- NPS Versus Willingness To Act As A Reference
Note: Net Promoter Score, Net Promoter, and NPS are registered trademarks of Bain & Company, Satmetrix Systems, and Fred Reichheld.