We just published a Temkin Group report, Infusing Culture Throughout The New Employee Journey.
Here’s the executive summary:
A company’s culture reflects the attitudes and behaviors of its employees and influences almost every aspect of the employee journey and experience. However, despite its importance, many companies fail to orient new employees to their culture during onboarding. Rather than helping new hires form long-term connections with the organization and its values, companies often use this time to teach new hires about the organization’s processes. Companies instead should use their culture as a focal point during recruiting, hiring, and onboarding and then continue to emphasize it as employees acclimate to their roles. This report:
- Explores how companies can align new employees with their culture.
- Describes how companies can infuse culture throughout the four stages of the new hire journey: Establish Cultural Fit, Set Behavioral Expectations, Reinforce Positive Performance, and Prioritize Sustaining Culture.
- Shares examples of best practices from a number of companies, including Adobe, Crowe Horwath, LexisNexis, Oxford Properties, Touchpoint Support Services, and Safelite Autoglass.
- Provides a checklist companies can use to execute their culture-focused onboarding program effectively.
- New Employees Need More Corporate Cultural Onboarding
- New Hire Programs Fall Short on Culture
- Companies Should Infuse Culture Across the Entire New Hire Journey
- Stage 1: Establish Cultural Fit
- Stage 2: Set Behavioral Expectations
- Stage 3: Reinforce Positive Performance
- Stage 4: Prioritize Sustaining Culture
- The Path Towards A Culture-Focused Onboarding Program
- Immediate, Near-term, and Long-term actions
Figures in the Report:
- How to Shape Culture by Impacting How Employees Think, Believe, and Act
- Six Areas of Culture Focus
- Infuse Culture Throughout the Four Stages of the New Hire Journey
- Examples of Culture-Focused Onboarding Across the Four Stages of the New Hire Journey
- LexisNexis Summer Intern Program
- The Oxford Commitment
- Safelite AutoGlass Customer Driven Model
- Touchpoint Services Keeps Employees Learning Through Daily LineUp Meetings
- Recommendations for Designing an Effective Employee Recognition Program
- Select TouchPoint Supportive Services Manager Training
- Channels for Listening to Employee Feedback
- Actions to Take to Strengthen Company Culture