Last week I attended SAP’s SAPPHIRE and CX Live events in Orlando. It was great to see 35,000 or so of my new friends. As you might expect, Experience Management (“XM”) was a dominant theme. Just about every SAP or Qualtrics keynote speech discussed XM, and it was a topic at many of the concurrent sessions. I really enjoyed seeing the XM message come to life in so many different ways.
One of the cornerstones of XM is the combination of operational data (“O-data”) and experience data (“X-data”). While each type of data can provide valuable insights on its own, the combination can unlock new levels of intelligence across an enterprise. These more inclusive datasets will increase in value as organizations expand their use of predictive analytics, as the combined data is inherently more insightful.
To help you think about where you can find valuable opportunities to combine X- and O-data within your organization, we identified the following six categories of use cases:
- X Why: Find something happening in O-data and look for an explanation in X-data
- O Drivers: Find something happening in X-data and look for operational situations that are causing the situation
- X&O Predict: Build projections based on an analysis of X- & O-data
- X&O Personalize: Adjust how you treat people based on a combination of X- & O-data
- X&O Alert: Send alerts and other proactive information based on a combination of X- & O-data
- X Value: Measure the value of improving experiences by examining the impact that those changes have on business results
The graphic above provides some customer experience (“CX”) and employee experience (“EX”) examples, but it’s not meant to be an exhaustive list of use cases. Hopefully the table provides you with a good sense of the insights that can be unlocked with the combination of X- and O-data.
Now that you understand some of the ways for gaining insights from X- and O-data, think about how the combination can impact your organization. If you have some ideas or examples of how it’s worked for you, leave them in the comments section of this post. I’ll try and highlight some of the most interesting items.
The bottom line: Combine your Xs & Os to unlock more insights.