We just published a Temkin Group report, State of Voice of the Customer Programs, 2017. Here’s the executive summary:
For the seventh straight year, Temkin Group has benchmarked the competency and maturity levels of voice of the customer (VoC) programs within large organizations. This year we surveyed close to 200 large companies and asked them to complete Temkin Group’s VoC Competency and Maturity Assessment, which evaluates their capabilities across what we call the “Six Ds:” Detect, Disseminate, Diagnose, Discuss, Design, and Deploy. This report also includes data from these companies’ responses to help you benchmark your own company’s VoC efforts. We compared this year’s results with those from previous years and found that:
- While most companies think that their VoC efforts are successful, less than one-quarter of companies consider themselves good at making changes to the business based on the insights.
- Companies find their VoC programs to be most valuable for “identifying and fixing quick-hit operational issues” and least valuable for “identifying innovative product and service ideas.”
- Companies expect technology will continue to heavily impact their VoC programs in the future, especially for integrating survey data with CRM and operational data.
- In the future, companies expect the most important source of insights to be customer interaction history and the least important source to be multiple-choice questions.
- The most common activity for VoC teams is defining customer experience metrics for their companies, and this activity became even more popular over the past year.
- Only 14% of companies have reached the two highest levels of VoC maturity (out of six levels), while 46% remain in the bottom two levels.
- When we compared higher-scoring VoC programs with lower-scoring programs, we found that companies with mature programs are more successful, technology-focused, and mobile-oriented and have more full-time staff and more involved senior executives.
- Companies with more mature VoC programs identified “integration across systems” as the most common obstacle they face, while less mature VoC programs struggle the most with “cooperation across the organization.”
Here’s the VoC competency & maturity levels, which is one of 29 graphics in the report:
- VoC Programs are Successful, But Have Room To Improve
- Assessing the Maturity of VoC Programs
- Six D’s: Detect, Disseminate, Diagnose, Discuss, Design, and Deploy
- Five Levels of VoC Maturity – From Novices to Transformers
- Anatomy of Successful VoC Programs
- Propel Your VoC Program to the Next Generation
Figures in the Report:
- Effectiveness of Voice of the Customer Programs
- Evaluation of Voice of the Customer Elements
- Where Companies Get Value From VoC Programs
- How Technology Enables Voice of the Customer Programs
- Changing Importance of Customer Insight Channels
- Collecting Customer Feedback Via Mobile
- Structure of Voice of the Customer Organizations
- Responsibilities of Voice of the Customer Teams
- Voice of the Customer Executive Involvement
- Obstacles to Voice of the Customer Success
- Six D’s of a Successful Closed-Loop Voice of the Customer Program
- Maturity Levels of Voice of the Customer Programs
- Temkin Group Voice of the Customer Program Competency and Maturity Assessment (Page 1 of 2)
- Temkin Group Voice of the Customer Program Competency and Maturity Assessment (Page 2 of 2)
- 10 Highest Scoring Competency Questions
- 10 Lowest Scoring Competency Questions
- Competency Questions That Increased The Most Between 2016 and 2017
- Competency Questions That Decreased The Most Between 2016 and 2017
- Voice of the Customer Competency and Maturity Levels
- Voice of the Customer Competency and Maturity Levels, Changes
- Success Rates of VoC Programs Based on VoC Maturity
- VoC Insight Sources and Technology Based on VoC Maturity
- Mobile VoC Based on VoC Maturity
- Areas of Success Based on VoC Maturity
- The VoC Organization Based on VoC Maturity
- Responsibilities of VoC Teams Based on VoC Maturity
- Senior Executive Involvement in VoC Based on VoC Maturity
- Key Obstacles Based on VoC Maturity
- Percentiles of Results From Temkin Group VoC Competency & Maturity Assessment