We published a Temkin Group report, Net Promoter Score Benchmark Study, 2017. This is the sixth year of this study that includes Net Promoter® Scores (NPS®) on 299 companies across 20 industries based on a study of 10,000 U.S. consumers.
Here’s the executive summary:
Many large companies use Net Promoter® Score (NPS) to evaluate their customers’ loyalty. To compare scores across organizations and industries, Temkin Group measured the NPS of almost 300 companies across 20 industries based on a survey of 10,000 U.S. consumers. Here are the highlights from this benchmark:
- With an NPS of 66, USAA’s insurance business earned the highest score in the study for the fifth year in a row.
- Comcast received the lowest NPS for the third year in a row with a score of -9.
- The industry average for NPS ranged from a high of 43 for auto dealers down to a low of 9 for TV & Internet service providers.
- Citibank, whose NPS lagged 35 points behind the banking average, fell the farthest behind its peers.
- All industries saw their average NPS decline over the past year, though Utilities dropped the most.
- 18- to 24-year-old consumers give companies the lowest NPS (with an average score of 17 across industries), while consumers 65 and older give the highest NPS (with an average score of 38 across industries).
- NPS is highly correlated with customer experience. On average, customer experience leaders enjoy an NPS over 18 points higher than customer experience laggards.
Here’s a list of companies included in this study (.pdf).
- USAA and JetBlue Lead the NPS Benchmark of 299 U.S. Companies
- USAA and JetBlue Earn Top Spots in NPS Rankings
- NPS Increases With Age
- Want Higher NPS? Improve Customer Experience
Figures in the Report:
- Temkin Group Measured Net Promoter Scores For 299 Companies Across 20 Industries
- Net Promoter Scores (NPS): Top and Bottom 20 Companies
- Range of Net Promoter Scores (NPS) Across Industries
- Net Promoter Scores (NPS) By Industry (Page 1)
- Net Promoter Scores (NPS) By Industry (Page 2)
- Net Promoter Scores (NPS) By Industry (Page 3)
- Net Promoter Scores (NPS) By Industry (Page 4)
- Net Promoter Scores (NPS) By Industry (Page 5)
- Net Promoter Scores (NPS) By Industry (Page 6)
- Promoters, Passives, and Detractors By Industry
- Net Promoter Scores (NPS): Most Above and Below Industry Average
- Industry Average NPS, 2015 to 2017
- Net Promoter Score (NPS) by Age by Industry
- Customer Experience Correlates To Net Promoter Scores (NPS)
If you want to know what data is included in this report and dataset, download this sample Excel dataset file.
If you’re looking to create a strong NPS program, check out our VoC/NPS Resource Page.
P.S. Net Promoter Score, Net Promoter, and NPS are registered trademarks of Bain & Company, Satmetrix Systems, and Fred Reichheld.