Off-Topic: NFL Is King of Pro Sports
September 12, 2015 Leave a comment
If you’re a regular reader of this blog, then you know that I am an avid fan of our New England sports teams: Go Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins! So I periodically take a break from customer experience and write something about sports. With the start of the NFL season, I thought I’d examine who likes to watch pro football.
As part of Temkin Group’s consumer benchmark study in January, we asked 10,000 U.S. consumers about the professional sports they enjoy watching. As you can see below, NFL is BY FAR the most popular sport, especially with older males. Here are some specific observations of the data:
- 57% of consumers like to watch football, outpacing the next highest sport (baseball) by 20 percentage points. Basketball is a close 3rd, and then it falls off after that.
- Men of all ages like to watch football more than their female peers.
- Football popularity with men increases with age, going from 55% for the youngest adults to 80% for the oldest.
- Football popularity with women peaks between 25- and 44-year-olds, and drops to 39% for the oldest women.
- The football gender gap is largest with consumers who are 75 and older (41 %-points) and lowest with 18- to 34-year olds (12 %-points).
The bottom line: A lot of older woman are being left alone on Sundays