Virgin Mobile Leads Wireless Carriers in Customer Experience
March 18, 2015 1 Comment
We recently released the 2015 Temkin Experience Ratings that ranks the customer experience of 293 companies across 20 industries based on a survey of 10,000 U.S. consumers.
The average rating for the wireless carrier industry dropped from 62% in 2014 to 61% in 2015—the first times in the history of the ratings that the industry’s average declined.
Here are some highlights from the wireless carriers’ results:
- Virgin Mobile earned the highest rating in the industry with a score of 67%, which put it in 128th place overall. Virgin Mobile has been steadily improving its ratings over the past five years. In 2011, it was the lowest-rated wireless carrier, with a score of 29%, in 2012 it increased its score to 59%, and then to 61% in 2013, 64% in 2014, and then this year, it became the top-rated wireless carrier, with 67%.
- With a score of 55%, Sprint is the lowest-rated wireless carrier for the first time since we began evaluating this industry in 2011. Sprint scored the furthest below the industry average for each of the three components: 8.7 percentage-points below the success average, 4.3 points below the effort average, and 5.5 points below the emotion average.
- Of the eight wireless carriers that we looked at last year and this year, four of them increased their rating and four of them decreased their rating. U.S. Cellular (+16 points), Virgin Mobile (+3 points), MetroPCS (+2 points), and T-Mobile (+1 point) improved their scores, while TracFone (-4 points), AT&T (-4 points), Sprint (-2 points), and Verizon Wireless (-1 point) received lower scores in 2015 than in 2014.
- U.S. Cellular experienced one of the most dramatic improvements in the Ratings, going up 16 percentage-points over the last year. This is following a 14-point decline between 2013 and 2014. In 2014, U.S. Cellular was the lowest-rated wireless carrier, with a rating of 46% and a rank of 264th out of 268 companies. This year it scored the industry average—62%—and placed 187th out of 293 companies.
- U.S. Cellular increased each of its component scores more than any other wireless carrier, going up by 12 percentage-points for success, 16 points for effort, and an astounding 19 points for emotion.