Off Topic: Pro Sports Appeal To Different Ethnic Groups
March 1, 2012 Leave a comment
Tomorrow and Saturday I’ll be attending the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. It’s an amazing line-up of the biggest names in sports. And they’ll be talking my language: sports, statistics, and analytics.
In honor of the conference, I did some of my own analysis of pro sports, digging into our recent consumer survey to identify which US consumers prefer watching eight different professional sports. As you can see below, the sports have strongholds with different ethnic groups:
- Football appeals the most to African Americans
- Basketball appeals the most to African Americans (basketball has the largest ethnic gap, 38 percentage points between African Americans and Caucasians).
- Baseball appeals the most to Hispanics
- NASCAR appeals the most to Caucasians
- Hockey appeals the most to Caucasians
- Golf appeals the most to Asians
- Tennis appeals the most to African Americans
- Soccer appeals the most to Hispanics
The bottom line: Analysis matters in sports, even on the business/marketing side