Yes, It’s True, Goodbye Forrester

Yesterday was wild. I was with a client in Mobile, AL when the twitter-sphere got wind of my plans to leave Forrester at the end of the month. Based on a request from Forrester,  I hadn’t gone public with the news of my resignation earlier in the week — so this was a bit unexpected. But, alas, the news got out.

First of all, I want to thank everyone for the amazing outpouring of support. Wow!!!!

Now on to the question that everyone is asking me: What’s next? Well, I’m not quite ready to share that news, because I’m working through a few options. But you can rest assured that I plan to raise the bar on customer experience.

After 12 years at Forrester, I felt like  “veni, vidi, vici” and had nothing left to conquer. Since I started focusing on enterprisewide customer experience, I’ve been the most-read analyst for 13 consecutive quarters and have led the company in generating consulting revenues. So it was time for me to find the next challenge.

It’s been a great pleasure to work with (and help train many of) the analysts at Forrester. I will miss my customer experience team. But I’m sure that we’ll be seeing more of each other over the years.

Of course, my greatest pleasure has been working with clients. I’ve had the opportunity to help some great people with their firm’s customer experience efforts. During the last several months, for instance, I’ve worked with large pharmaceutical firms, retailers, banks, insurance companies, wireless companies, technology vendors — to name a few.

I’ll certainly let everyone know when I’ve decided on my next move. In the meantime, pass along the news and keep reading my blog.

The bottom line: Customer experience remains my passion!

About Bruce Temkin, CCXP
I am a customer experience transformist, helping large organizations improve business results by changing how they deal with customers. As part of this focus, I examine strategy, culture, interaction design, customer service, branding and leadership practices. I am also a fanatical student of business, so this blog provides an outlet for sharing insights from my ongoing educational journey. Simply put, I am passionate about spotting emerging best practices and helping companies master them. And, as many people know, I love to speak about these topics in almost any forum. My “title” is Managing Partner of the Temkin Group, a customer experience research and consulting firm that helps organizations become more customer-centric. Our goal is simple: accelerate the path to delighting customers. I am also the co-founder and Emeritus Chair of the Customer Experience Professionals Association (CXPA.org), a non-profit organization dedicated to the success of CX professionals.

27 Responses to Yes, It’s True, Goodbye Forrester

1. Paige Hall says:

This is amazing. What types of opportunities do you hope this will bring you or open you up to?

2. Congratulations on YOUR new journey! Our company has been following your work for several years, and we look forward to seeing where your next exciting path will lead.

Best wishes!

3. David Perlmutter says:

Good luck Bruce — I am eager to see what new territories you will be blazing and conquering!

4. Colin Shaw says:

Bruce

The best decision I have ever made, other than getting married of course, (in case my wife is reading), was to start my own Customer Experience Company. Clearly I don’t know if that is your intent, but if it is, and I can help in any way, please let me know.

Colin Shaw
    Beyond Philosophy

5. Good luck Bruce. I like your writing style and your wide reach on knowledge and insight in this space.

6. Bruce Temkin says:

Hi everyone: Thanks for the nice notes!

At the request of Forrester, I’ve removed the names of clients that I’ve worked with from the post since I did not get the companies’ approval to mention them by name. My guess is that most of them would be happy to be mentioned (since it shows a commitment to their customer experience efforts), but it was probably a mistake to just list them out.

7. Steve A Furman says:

BRUCE,

Thanks for 12 years of insights and inspiration; I want 12 more! Normally I’d say you will be missed, but you’re not going away, just moving ahead. Let’s keep in touch.

Steve

8. Ray Brown says:

Hi Bruce Good luck as your CE adventure continues. We are about to launch a new online customer management resource site/business/adventure and I’d love to chat to you given your new independent status

9. Robin J Gleaves says:

Bruce

Good luck with your future ventures in the CE space. I’ve always enjoyed your blog and research reports.

FYI I’m just completing a very wide literature review on customer experience and it’s interesting (and rather bemusing) that there’s almost no mention of your name in the various books, journal articles, white papers and other discussions of CE. I hope to correct that in time. (PS to Colin Shaw at BPhil, yes you’re covered as well!)

10. Dave Rentschler says:

This is great news! My team and I follow your work very closely…this change will create new engagement opportunities, for you and for those that follow your work, oops, passion. Best of luck over the transition!

11. Bruce–

I look forward to seeing what your mind will come up with now that the shackles have been removed. In my own work “Delivering Perfect Service,” your insights and models have been instrumental in helping develop best practices.

Good luck!

Christopher W. Myers

12. Mike Wagner says:

Bruce,

It was just time for you to graduate – you’d learn what you were at Forrester to learn. Done what you were a Forrester to do. As you said, “veni, vidi, vici”.

I’m thankful what you have so generously share. Passion always goes public!

Let me know if I can help and/or encourage you on the next phase of the journey.

Keep creating,
    Mike

13. Frank Fellows says:

Hi Bruce,

Sorry to hear that you are leaving Forrester, but look forward to hearing about your next opportunity.

Best of luck to you (and to your Celtics in the playoffs).

Best,

Frank

14. Dan Mahoney says:

Bruce, I wish you the best of luck. I know that you will be successful in whatever you focus on, so just go for it. Take some time to smell the roses. You don’t need to rush into anything.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Dan

15. Bruce,

I closely followed your research work and I think your contribution to SE field (and Forrester) was great.
    Best of luck in the future,

Gidi

16. One of my favorite reads, good luck in the future!

17. Katrina Galway says:

Bruce, thank you for all the wisdom, stories and customer passion you have shared over the years. I look forward to hearing about your next venture. All best regards, Katrina Galway.

18. Neil Patil says:

Good Luck Bruce! We’ve appreciated your advice and insights at Overtone and look forward to collaborating with you in the future.

19. Good luck Bruce

looking forward to seeing your new endeavours, and to expand them in Spanish Speaking Countries

Isidoro Porquicho
    IZO System http://www.izo.es

20. Bruce,

I haven’t been following your blog for that long but being in the CEM space as a VoC solutions vendor, I have found your posts and views to be extremely insightful. I really commend your relentless, passion-filled efforts to drive home the point that the customer experience does indeed matter. In fact, it’s a key differentiator and impacts bottom line financial performance. It may seem obvious to people like us, but it’s still amazes me how some companies still don’t get it and how so many just don’t want to hear the voice of their customers. But thanks people like you, the message is getting through!

Good luck and stay in touch!

Richard Pridham
    President & CEO
    Agili-T Metrics

21. Bruce Temkin says:

Thanks (once again) everyone for your very nice notes, I’m getting close to making my decision on what’s next in my personal customer experience journey. Stay tuned…

22. Laura Ramos says:

Congratulations Bruce and best of luck to you. Having made my departure from Forrester recently, I can only say that change is refreshing and welcome. Let’s stay in touch – you can reach me laura.ramos@xerox.com or find me on LinkedIn.

23. Karyn Furstman says:

Hey Bruce – congrats and can’t wait to hear what’s next. Are you seeing Jeanne while you’re in LA? Shoot me an email when you get a chance — karyn.furstman@gmail.com. Have been enjoying the CE consulting world for the last three months but would love to connect. Give me a shout and thanks for all the great work at Forrester – you made their CE practice!

Karyn

24. Pingback: People on the Move in the Social Business Industry: April 18, 2010 « Web Strategy by Jeremiah Owyang | Social Media, Web Marketing

25. Pingback: People on the Move in the Social Business Industry: April 18, 2010 | MarketingTypo.com

26. Todd says:

i have been following your blog for about a year now, and I doubt your bottom line will EVER change. Keep up the great work. You have taught me much.

27. Steve LaValle says:

What a loss for Forrester! On to bigger and better things. I’m excited for you and looking forward to learning what’s next… I could guess but, then again, what’s said at dinner stays at dinner.