I’m one of the millions of people who regularly looked forward to seeing what Tim Russert had to say on Meet The Press, The Today Show, or during one of his appearances on the NBC Nightly News. He had a knack for providing deep insight in a clear, straightforward, and engaging way. I aspire to be more like Tim!
After listening to hours of programming dedicated to Russert’s extraordinary life, I realized that he was not only a great inspiration for me, but he embodied characteristics that are critical for good leaders. So here are some lessons that executives can learn from Russert’s life:
- Tackle complicated situations, but simplify your communications.
- Expect a lot from your people, but help them succeed.
- Push for excellence, but do it with enthusiasm.
- Ask the hard questions, but stay fair.
- Focus on the issue, not yourself.
- Act professionally, but don’t lose your humanity.
The bottom line: We’ll miss you Tim Russert; Rest In Peace.